Marlinespike Seamanship B - Types of Line and Splicing Techniques on Three-Strand Lines
Saturday, May 27, 2023 (1:45 pm - 4:45 pm)
Event Information: Marlinespike B is part two of a three-part series. In this session, students will build on the skills practiced in the previous lesson by learning about various characteristics and types of line and splicing methods.
Participants must abide by all Hoofer Sailing Club Covid-19 event protocols during this event.
Location: Check the Today in the Union website or the digital signs in Memorial Union on the day of the lesson. Note that the event start time may appear earlier on the TITU listing but will begin at the time shown here. If the event does not appear on the TITU listing, please go to the Outdoor UW Office and speak with the staff to determine the event location.
Prerequisites: Marlinespike A Rating (earned from completing a Marlinespike A Lesson)
Prior to attending this class, students should visit www.animatedknots.com (an excellent resource for sailors of all skill levels) and review the following knots:
The purpose of the video review is to familiarize students with how each of these procedures look. Students will be instructed on how to tie them and given time to practice during the lesson.
If time allows and there is interest, we will also look at the Monkey's fist knot. Here is an Animated Knots video on the monkey's fist.
Each student will be provided a length of line to take home.
Students who complete this lesson will receive a Marlinespike B Rating
- Event Type
- Lesson / Training (ratings may be achieved)
- Cancellation, Reschedule, and Refund Information
- If this event is cancelled more than 24 hours in advance, participants will be notified via the email associated with their membership account. If the event needs to be cancelled within 24 hours of the event start time, the instructor will call each participant individually via the phone number associated with their membership account.
- Equipment/ Gear Required by Participant
- This event will occur on land. Participants are welcome to attend in their regular attire, no need for sailing clothes.
- Food and Equipment Information
- (not set)