Badger Sloop A - On Land Only
Sunday, Jun 30, 2019 (4:30 pm - 7:30 pm)
Location: This lesson will meet in the Chartroom. Check Today in the Union on the day of the lesson. Note that this will be listed for 9:00 a.m. on the TITU listing but will start at the time shown here.
This lesson is for first time Sloop sailors. If you have never taken a Badger Sloop lesson, Badger Sloop A covers the fundamentals of the fleet. From here, students should continue on to Badger Sloop B lessons.
-Introductory Sloop Lesson
-Covers intro to Sloop theory, rigging/derigging/stowing, required equipment, Sloop policies (6 person max capacity, 3 hour daysailing limit), cart system, knots, tacking/jibing on a sloop, crew communication, intro to MOB/Landing, what to do in event of capsize, review right of way rules
Review the Badger Sloop Manual prior to this lesson.
The following series of videos (about 10 min. each) will be a good preview of the information about sailing and sailing terms.
- Sailing Lessons - The Basics (part 1)
- Sailing Lessons - The Basics (part 2)
- Sailing Lessons - The Basics (part 3)
- Sailing Lessons - The Basics (part 4)
For more on how sailing and sails work, here are some videos:
- Physics of Sailing
- How Do Sailboats Sail Faster Than the Wind
- Exploratorium: Science at the America’s Cup
- Vector Analysis of How Sailboats Sail Into the Wind
- How Boats Sail Into Wind (faster than the wind itself)
- Event Type
- Lesson / Training