Introduction to Marine 4 Stroke Engines | Winter Sailing Seminars
Wednesday, Feb 21, 2024 (6:30 pm - 8:00 pm)
Our Winter Sailing Seminars are a great way to expand your horizons during the winter months. The seminars are open to anyone who is eligible to be a sailing club member and no prior sailing experience is required; you do not need to be a current member of the sailing club to attend. Feel free to invite your landlubber friends!
Seminars occur weekly and cover a variety of nautical topics, such as racing tactics, sailing around the world, and sailing medical emergencies.
This year we ask participants to bring at least one non-perishable item per seminar to be donated to the Lussier Community Education Center. Most needed items include: olive oil, vegetable oil, maple syrup, sugar, flour, jelly/jam, pancake mix, paper towels, toilet paper, & baby wipes. Get more ideas from their Food Pantry Donation Wish List
Location: Check the Today in the Union website or the digital signs in Memorial Union on the day of the lesson. Note that the event start time may appear earlier on the TITU listing but will begin at the time shown here. If the event does not appear on the TITU listing, please go to the Outdoor UW Office and speak with the staff to determine the event location.
2024 Winter Sailing Seminars:
January 10: S/V Ladybug Sails Around the World with Jo Reis
January 17: Tour of UW Lake Rescue & Safety Lifesaving Station with Sean Geib, David Krueger, & James Beaver (This event will take place at the UW Lifesaving station, meet there at 6.30 pm)
January 24: Want to Go 60 MPH by Sail? Learn How to Iceboat with Brett Hulsey & Don Sanford
January 31: Sailing Medical Emergencies—Thermal & Trauma with Vc Scafati & Dr. Bob Cape
February 7: Sailing with the Royal Yachting Association (RYA) with Mark Gahler & Gerit Grimm
February 14: A Brief History of the America's Cup with Philip Tietze
February 21: Introduction to Marine 4 Stroke Engines with Mills Botham
February 28: Nautical Communication: The Words and Means of Communicating at Sea with Mark Gillespie
March 6: E Scow Racing with Dale Gordon & MYC
March 13: Sailing Lake Huron's North Channel with Daniel Rogge & Annie Wilson
March 20: Understanding the Racing Rules of Sailing with Dave Elsmo
March 27: Advanced Racing Tactics with Dave Elsmo
- Event Type
- Educational Event (passive learning, no rating)
- Cancellation, Reschedule, and Refund Information
- If this event is cancelled more than 24 hours in advance, participants will be notified via the email associated with their membership account. If the event needs to be cancelled within 24 hours of the event start time, the instructor will call each participant individually via the phone number associated with their membership account.
- Equipment/ Gear Required by Participant
- This event will occur on land. Participants are welcome to attend in their regular attire, no need for sailing clothes.
- Food and Equipment Information
- (not set)