Outdoor Explorer Series (Introductory Course): Backcountry Nutrition and Ration Planning
Tuesday, Mar 21, 2023 (5:30 pm - 6:30 pm)
Join Outdoor UW for their new Outdoor Explorer Series. Learn and practice a new skill that will make you more comfortable and excited for your next adventure!
Intro to Backcountry Cooking and Nutrition
The focus of this class is all about planning, preparing, and showing techniques to cook healthy and nutritious meals while on remote backcountry camping trips. We will describe all that goes into executing meals for you and your friends while camping. This includes how to create a plan that provides flexibility for a multi-day camping trip. Shows participants how to set up a stove and walks through the process of cooking a backcountry meal. We also will describe and demonstrate some advanced techniques, such as backcountry baking, using fire for cooking, as well as sharing pro tips for those new to backcountry cooking.
Upon completion of this class, participants will:
- Understand the amount of calories that are being burned during outdoor activities
- Understand the basics micro and macro nutrients used to build a recipe
- Describe the value of a well rounded nutritious diet that offset energy expenditure
- Envision ways to plan and prepare ration based on the trip and participants
- Learn about the types cooking supplies needed to cook in the backcountry
- Learn about ways to cook in the backcountry and practice with cooking tools
- Event Type
- Educational Event (passive learning, no rating)
- Accommodation Information
- Cancellation, Reschedule, and Refund Information
- In the event that the course is cancelled by Outdoor UW, full refunds will be issued. Refunds will not be issued if participants cancel within 24 hours of event.
- Driving or Travel Details
- Equipment/ Gear Required by Participant
- Food and Equipment Information
- Trip Cancellation, Reschedule, and Refund Information
- Trip Purpose/Goals