Badfish Creek Canoeing Trip/Lesson
Saturday, Sep 24, 2022 (11:00 am - 5:00 pm)
Badfish Creek is a small stream located about 1/2 hour south of Madison. It has many riffles and small rapids that provide an introduction to whitewater paddling.
We'll meet at the Park Street Circle promptly at 11am to select equipment and load canoes on cars. Once at the put-in, we'll start with "ground school" where we'll discuss river safety, equipment, and river features.
We won't be paddling a long distance on this trip. The focus will instead be on practicing skills such as river reading, eddy turns, peel outs, ferries, and bracing.
This trip is for canoes, not kayaks. You must have a lake rating in an open canoe in order to attend this trip.
On this trip, you will have the opportunity to earn your R1-OC rating. If you're not familiar with our rating system, you can find it here: https://www.hooferouting.org/ratings
We won't be intentionally capsizing on this trip, but there is a possibility of inadvertent upset, so bring a spare change of clothes in a dry bag or sealed plastic bag. You will almost certainly get wet (and possibly muddy) from the knees down because we'll likely drag the canoes back up some shallow rapids to practice running them again.
The forecast is calling for a high of about 70 degrees, but the water will be chilly, so dress accordingly. Other things to bring:
Warm when wet clothes
Lunch and personal snacks (we'll likely eat in the parking lot before putting on the river)
$5 for gas
COVID Precautions: We will be wearing masks in vehicles and driving with the windows down.
Hint: I'm planning to lead a wilderness canoe trip in Ontario Canada during the summer of 2023. You will need to have at least an R1-OC rating in order to go on that trip. We're getting fairly late in the paddling season this year, so that may not be a lot more opportunities to earn your R1-OC rating prior to the summer 2023 trip.
- Event Type
- Trip (off-site, ratings may be achieved)
- Accommodation Information
- None, this is just a day trip.
- Cancellation, Reschedule, and Refund Information
- (not set)
- Driving or Travel Details
- The trip is initially limited to 4 people (including me). If we have another person with a car, I can expand the trip to include 6 people (including me).
- Equipment/ Gear Required by Participant
- (not set)
- Food and Equipment Information
- Bring your own lunch, snacks, and drinking water.
- Trip Cancellation, Reschedule, and Refund Information
- Trip Purpose/Goals
- Earn your R1-OC rating in an open canoe.