Nordic Skiing with the HSO
Saturday, Feb 20, 2021 (1:00 pm - 3:00 pm)
Leader: Alec Lowry
Want to learn a new winter sport? This introductory cross country skiing course will benefit anyone who would like to learn how to ski and/or develop what they already know about the "Classic" style of cross country skiing. We will cover the basics of classic skiing mechanics including starting and stopping, turning, and gliding across the snow.
We will meet outside the Outdoor UW office near Lake Mendota. Once everyone is outfitted we will head out to Lake Mendota to begin the lesson. Equipment will be provided, but if you have skis feel free to bring them.
Please dress accordingly. Hats, gloves, and warm layers as we be outside on the lake for about an hour.
- Event Type
- Educational Event (passive learning, no rating)
- Accommodation Information
- Cancellation, Reschedule, and Refund Information
- (not set)
- Driving or Travel Details
- Equipment/ Gear Required by Participant
- (not set)
- Food and Equipment Information
- Please bring hats, gloves and warm layers. Keep in mind that the lake often sees increased windchill then in the city. Ski, boots and poles will be provided for those who need.
- Safety plan information to be shared with attendees:
- Please come prepared with proper PPE and practice social distancing with those outside your household. Face masks will be required while equipment is being distributed. Once on snow, and distant from others, face masks will be recommended, but not required.
- Sanitation plan for any equipment used during the event:
- Leaders will use disinfecting wipes to clean all equipment being used by participants.
- Trip Cancellation, Reschedule, and Refund Information
- Trip Purpose/Goals