Hoofer Open Water Scuba Fall 2020
Wednesday, Sep 16, 2020 (5:00 pm - 8:00 pm)
Friday, Sep 18, 2020 (5:00 pm - 9:00 pm)
Saturday, Sep 19, 2020 (5:00 pm - 9:00 pm)
Saturday, Sep 26, 2020 (9:00 am - 1:00 pm)
Sunday, Sep 27, 2020 (9:00 am - 1:00 pm)
This 2020 Fall Open Water class includes academic online training, two indoor pool sessions, and four open water dives. At the completion of this class, each student will receive a PADI Open Water Diver Certification.
The Fall Hoofer Open Water SCUBA course consists of a self-paced eLearning web classroom where students learn about diving physiology and safety and the equipment and skills needed by every diver. This is followed by two indoor swimming pool sessions where students are able to apply your new knowledge in a controlled environment. Students must complete the eLearning prior to the pool sessions (no exception). Once the eLearning and the pool training session are completed, each student will complete four open water dives over two days.
The course fee of $405 includes your PADI Open Water online instruction and learning module, open water check out dives, professional instruction by PADI instructors, all course materials including access to eLearning, dive log and training record, and the use of all Scuba equipment and tanks needed for the class.
You will also need to purchase a membership in Hoofer Scuba which costs $44 per year for students and includes heavily discounted gear rentals once certified. The fee is paid to the Hoofer Scuba Club online or at the Outdoor UW Service desk at the Memorial Union when you sign up for the course.
There are no additional hidden fees or costs, and our courses include all education and dives required to become a PADI certified diver. The total cost for students is $449. Sign Up must be done online.
Prerequisites and Enrollment Conditions
You must attend all classroom and pool sessions to gain a referral. No make-up sessions can be offered. If during the course under special circumstances you find you cannot attend one of the dates, please let us know ASAP so we can work something out.
We follow the PADI health requirements, a copy of all the medical conditions that may require a physician's approval to be cleared for diving can be found here, or online under PADI medical form. Note, if you have one of these conditions, it does not necessarily bar you from diving, it does mean we would need a doctor to sign off that you are medically cleared for diving.
It is essential that course participants have strong basic swimming skills and be comfortable in the water. PADI requirements include a basic swim test and a tread-water test. If you do not pass the swim test we can only offer partial refunds of course fees. See below for more details.
eLearning must be completed according to the schedule directed by your instructor.
Course Refunds: Once the course has commenced, we do not offer any refunds past the first pool session, eg. if you decide that you can't make one of the dates! If you decide after the first pool session that SCUBA is not for you, then we can offer you a partial refund of the course cost less the cost of materials, and a prorated fee for the portion of the class that you attended.
For safety, individuals not able to satisfactorily perform all required skills in the pool will not be permitted to participate in the open water training. Our instructors will make every effort to assist you in becoming a certified diver, but certification is not guaranteed.
Participants must be a University of Wisconsin-Madison student, faculty/staff, or Wisconsin Union member. Union membership is open to everyone. Call 608-262-2263 or visit www.union.wisc.edu/membership to sign up for Union Membership.
Last day to sign up is Sept 14, 2020.
Class session: Wed, Sept 16, 2020 5:00 PM - 8:00 PM at Memorial Union, Check T.I.T.U screen
Pool Sessions: Fri, Sept 18 & Sat, Sept 19, 2020 5:00 PM - 9:00 PM at Clarion Hotel Madison - 2110 Rimrock Rd, Madison, WI
Open Water: Sat, Sept 26 & Sept 27, 2020 9:00 AM - 1:00 PM, location TBA (Diversion Scuba to determine)
- Event Type
- Lesson / Training (ratings may be achieved)
- Accommodation Information
- Classroom (9/16/2020) @ Wisconsin Union, Room TBD Pool (9/18 & 9/19/2020) @ Clarion Hotel Madison, Rimrock Rd Open Water (9/26 & 9/27/2020) @ TBA
- Cancellation, Reschedule, and Refund Information
- (not set)
- Driving or Travel Details
- Travel is the responsibility of each student.
- Equipment/ Gear Required by Participant
- (not set)
- Food and Equipment Information
- Equipment to be supplied by Diversion Scuba. Equipment supplied has been disinfected per PADI and Divers Alert Network guidance.
- Safety plan information to be shared with attendees:
- Loaned scuba gear has been disinfected by Diversion Scuba as per PADI and DAN guidance. Students will have access to hand sanitizers throughout the course. Students and instructors must maintain 6 ft distancing at all times on the surface, in the classroom, and on the pool deck. Face covering must be worn at all times during on surface activities.
- Sanitation plan for any equipment used during the event:
- Diversion Scuba is responsible for providing sanitized scuba equipment per DAN and PADI guidance.
- Trip Cancellation, Reschedule, and Refund Information
- Partial refund only up to the completion of pool training. Full refund may be given if cancellation is done on the first day / classroom session. No refund is given past the completion of the open water sessions.
- Trip Purpose/Goals
- Open Water Scuba certification.