Learn to Sport Climb at Hillbilly Hollow!!!!!
Sunday, Oct 13, 2019 (8:00 am - 2:00 pm)
Join us at Hillbilly Hollow for a lesson on how to sport climb! (Remember you need your sport climbing rating to check out sport gear for the Red River Gorge). This will not be an opportunity to get your sport climbing rating, but merely a chance to get outside, do some climbing, and learn the basics of sport climbing. You'll learn how to lead, lead belay, and clean. Once we're finished with the educational part of the trip, we'll probably have some time left to climb things for fun. We'll leave from the Memorial Union circle at 8 AM, and try to arrive back in Madison between 4 and 5 PM. To go on this trip, you must be confident top rope climbing and have your hoofers top rop rating prior to leaving. Also, because this is a clinic, you are required to wear a helmet while climbing and belaying. The cost of this trip covers the cost of the fleet car.
How do I know if this is a good clinic for me?
- I have top rope experience and want to push myself to the next technical level
- I want to learn to sport climb so I'm more ready for my next trip
- I'm not confident in my existing sport climbing skills
- If you're an experienced sport climber, you won't get much out of this. Due to the limited number of spots available, I'd like to ask that you don't sign up for this if you just want to sport climb. This clinic will be oriented towards beginners.
- Sturdy shoes for the hike up to the crag
- A few bucks for gas and/or Culver's
- Climbing shoes
- Climbing harness
- Climbing helmet
- Chalk bag
- A positive attitude
**You can rent climbing shoes, harness, and helment from the gear locker prior to leaving!
If you have any questions about gear or need gear, come to the meeting Thursday night or email the gear manager (firstname.lastname@example.org). Quickdraws and ropes will be provided. Feel free to reach out to Regan Murray with any questions, email@example.com.
- Event Type
- Educational Event