RS Zest A
Monday, Jul 15, 2019 (5:00 pm - 8:00 pm)
This lesson will cover procedures for rigging, launching, and sailing on the RS Zest.
This lesson will meet under the yellow canopy next to the Lakelab. The first day of a RS Zest class is always held regardless of adverse weather. Come prepared to sail!
Preference will be given to those who have a tech rating, a sloop rating, or have taken one of the following:
- Introduction to Keelboats
- Tech A
- Sloop A
- Windsurfing A
The following series of videos (about 10 min. each) will be a good preview of the information about sailing and sailing terms.
- Sailing Lessons - The Basics (part 1)
- Sailing Lessons - The Basics (part 2)
- Sailing Lessons - The Basics (part 3)
- Sailing Lessons - The Basics (part 4)
Please watch this video and be ready to discuss the physics of sailing.
For more on how sailing and sails work, here are some videos:
- How Do Sailboats Sail Faster Than the Wind
- Exploratorium: Science at the America’s Cup
- Vector Analysis of How Sailboats Sail Into the Wind
- How Boats Sail Into Wind (faster than the wind itself)
- Event Type
- Lesson / Training