Into to Moving Water: Black Earth Creek R1
Saturday, Jun 29, 2019 (10:00 am - 4:00 pm)
You need to complete a lake lesson and standard swim test BEFORE joining this trip.
Do you find yourself a little bored just sitting in a kayak bobbing up and down in the still water lake? Are you interested in learning how to paddle a kayak through whitewater rapids? If so, it is time to go find a river and learn how to execute some fundamental paddle strokes and maneuvers in water that is actually flowing and pushing your kayak around.
Likelihood of staying dry: 0%;
Likelihood of saying “uh oh, I'm flipping over!”: ~50%
Likelihood of having a blast: 100%
We will paddle Black Earth Creek from Olson Rd to Mazomanie. This trip will be for folks seeking an R1 rating (basic moving water rating) in a whitewater kayak and interested in participating in our July 4th whitewater trip. We will focus on teaching introductory moving water concepts, including eddying out, ferries, and peel-outs. If you are trying to earn an R1, you will have to demonstrate a wet exit (i.e. be completely immersed in the water) and basic boat control on moving water.
Bring your own for yourself:
- river-appropriate shoes (think protection from glass and fishhooks, they must stay on when swimming, no flip flops)
- glasses strap (if needed)
- change of dry clothing for the end of trip (you will get soaked)
- plastic bag for your wet stuff
- Clothes you are comfortable with getting wet. I recommend a long-sleeve, noncotton shirt for sun and bug protection.
- No cotton clothing should be worn on the river!
- Bring $5 to give to your driver for gas.
- Sunscreen, water bottle, snacks.
- Again, bring dry clothes to change into and shoes you can wear in the water.
Borrow from Hoofers (if you don't have):
The six essentials:
- sprayskirt (for kayaks)
- float bags
Meet: at the Memorial Union boathouse to gear up at 10:00 AM. We will drive to Black Earth Creek, then paddle a short section of the creek. I plan to arrive back at the Memorial Union no later than 4pm
Please make sure to answer if you can drive and/or haul boats. This may make the trip open to more participants
- Event Type
- Lesson / Training